Colleen Conklin for Flagler School Board
Honored to Serve
Committed to Advocating with Passion and Purpose
Humbly asking for your VOTE on August 30th to continue to serve the children of Flagler County!
Our Education is so important for our future and Colleen gets it!
Tough as a nail, and ready to put tough choices first!
Thank you for all your hard work and dedication, our school system is in a better position with you involved.
What Colleen has done for our community over the last 20 years is just amazing!
In 2013, I lost my son. He was a freshman at Matanzas High School. Through this horrific tragedy, Colleen reached out to me as a school board member and as a mother. Over the past 2 1/2 years, I have watched her help make changes that were desperately needed in our Flagler County school system. […]
It is my pleasure to write this endorsement letter as I feel so strongly in supporting Colleen Conklin in her candidacy for the Flagler County School Board. I am currently the Receptionist for Flagler County Schools in the Food & Nutrition Department. I have known Colleen personally and professionally for about 10 years. We first […]
I support Colleen Conklin for my school board again this year. Colleen has the experience, honesty, energy and voice that is needed for this job. She has been to Tallahassee to speak directly with legislators and ALWAYS goes the extra mile for our little county. Colleen has it all in my opinion. She’s been a […]
In a time of great transition, it is important that we reflect carefully on our selections for elected positions. Now, more than ever, we must align ourselves those who wish to create harmony within our community. The position of school board member is directly responsible for advocating, protecting, and nurturing our future generations and their […]
We’ve known Colleen Conklin for 13 years. We know her as a mom, an educator and being on the school board. She always has Flagler’s kids best interest in mind! We support the re-election for Colleen Conklin for Flagler County School Board! Scott and Lisa Sowers (Flagler County Parents, Business Owner, Cline Contruction)
I want to go on record endorsing Colleen Conklin for re-election to the Flagler County School Board. I am confident in her representation of the people of Flagler County. I trust her to do her best in speaking on my behalf as a teacher AND for the children of Flagler county. I enjoy having worked […]
Colleen Walsh Conklin is with out a doubt the best choice for our school board. I served with her from 2002-2010 and during that time I continually watched her fight for the kids, employees, and sources of money so as to make this system the best in the state. She researches the issues and speaks from […]
Colleen Conklin is the most qualified person to be re-elected for the school board . As a businesswoman, a strong pillar in our community , a wife and parent . Colleen has done it all. In everything she does, Colleen exemplifies honesty, passion , fairness, and thoughtfulness. She cares about the teachers , the faculty […]
What I've Done:
- Expanded Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics opportunities for students in elementary school.
- Supported and encouraged the development of our Flaglership programs. The flagships are part of the Classroom to Careers Initiative. The goal is to prepare our students for the ever-changing workforce and connecting them to relevant and local industry opportunities.
- Supported the development an Early Warning System to identify students who may be at-risk of falling behind
- Supported the expansion of the Flagler Youth Orchestra
- Increased high school graduation rates every year for the last five years
- Created more opportunities for expert teachers to train new teachers and help other teachers improve.
- Earned invitation to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation conference for improved teacher effectiveness.
- Increased local business contribution for school supplies and student improvement.
- Used local business to increase career opportunities for all students, including Sea Ray.
- Developed new plans for better student safety at bus stops and during bus transportation.
- Supported and encouraged crisis training of all students and staff, including bus drivers, on the proper safety procedures in all schools and district buildings.
- Recognized as an Apple Distinguished school district .
- First district in the state to provide students with one to one technology.
- Supported the construction of several new schools and major renovations in aging facilities.
- Earned the rank of Best High Schools by U.S. News and World Report
Education isn’t just a profession to me, it is a calling. I believe in every student’s ability to learn and lead a happy life. I will continue the fight to improve the academic success of every Flagler student, from kindergarten through high school, as a means to prepare them for college and beyond.
I am dedicated to the emotional and social health of our students. As a mom, I’ve seen the stress our children go through every day with. I’ve worked hard to educate myself and other parents about the dangers of cyberbullying and the dangers of social media. I’ve witnessed the heartbreak of a parent who’s left with questions surrounding the loss of their child. I’ve held virtual town halls on Suicide Prevention. I’m listened to students and parents about the challenges they face each day. I’ve worked with parents and students to revise our bullying policies, support the initiation of training programs for teachers to spot the warning signs of students in distressed.
I support recess – EVERYDAY for students and understand the need for physical activity on healthy brain development.
Many people think it takes great populations to create great school districts. In Flagler, we are proving them wrong on every count. As the fastest growing county in Florida, I want to continue to raise the bar and show the state our kids can compete with anyone.
What I Want to Do Next for You:
I believe school districts work best when they create a collaboration between the students, the staff and each particular school. Therefore, I have several goals to improve each segment of the district through 2020.
- Increase graduation rates by a minimum of 15% – pushing towards being the first school district in the nation where 100% of our students graduate with either a traditional high school diploma, GED and or industry certification.
- Increased math and science rates by 15% – re-imagine and reinvent our science and math programs at the secondary level to support hands on lab experiences for students.
- Increased and expanded education options to include project based learning, alternative scheduling and the increased use of industry certifications and internships for secondary students
- Expand mental health services to all students
- Support teacher training in suicide prevention awareness and strategies for prevention
- Revise and expand our online system to report and track bullying
- Promote new policies to increase student academic success across the district
- Increase state funding for all Flagler County schools
- Increase the amount of money we receive from the state for every fulltime student
- Decrease the amount of local tax dollars we lose to the state and keep more of it in Flagler County
Constantly ask us to refocus on educational outcomes; reimagine education programming to meet the needs of today’s students and recreate pathways to a future workforce!
I’ve worked to accomplish many of my goals in my 16 years as a school board member. So it is time to set new ones. During the next four years, I want to: